Monday 7 January 2013

Richard's top ten classic PC games!

Richard's top ten classic PC games!


(Also, in the spirit of fairness, I’m limiting the number of point and click adventures I put in this list, or it would be a list of nothing but point and click... at some point I will do the list of my top ten point and click adventure games)

The 7th Guest.


One of the first games I ever owned on Cdrom, the 7th guest is a puzzle game where you wonder around a creepy mansion solving puzzles and trying to figure out why your stuck in the mansion in the first place. This game is a classic, but its also bloody hard, as a child I never got past the tin can puzzle and its only recently, with its re-release on the ipad that I have actually finished it. The 7th guest serves as one of my first introductions to horror gaming and it still plays well today.

Doom.



To any gamer, doom needs to introduction, your the original badass space marine fighting demons from hell, on Mars. Need I say more?

Lemmings.



In lemmings you are put in control of a seemingly endless supply of little green haired men that try despite your best efforts to walk off cliffs. The only way to help the lemmings not throw themselves into every hazard they come accross is by quickly solving puzzles and desperately racing to out wit the game developers and guide them to the exits. This strange gameplay made for a very compelling game and is still one of my favourite puzzlers today.

Zork.



This Text based adventure game was released in the early 80's and has been installed on every pc I have ever owned, without the use of any graphics it manages to stand out as one of the most compelling experiences I have every had at a pc. Adventure, cunning, danger and amazing terrain only limited by your imagination. 

You can download all the Zork games for free here, ZORK! so you have no excuse not to play them. 

Baldur's gate.



My first introduction to Dungeons and Dragons and I did not even know it at the time. Baldurs gate is a complex involved RPG based in the fantasy world of D&D, you level up, kill monsters and get to experience possibly the greatest storyline in RPG history. If you have not played it, you need to.

Ghost master



In this take on the god game genre you play as the ghost master put in charge of a team of haunters and given tasks, most of witch revolve around scaring mortals. This game has a lot of flaws, its buggy, the camera is clunky and the final level was missing when it was released having to be patched in later. But despite all this I love ghost master, something about how the music starts pumping when you really start scaring the mortals... bliss.

Diablo 2.



Diablo and Diablo 2 are the original hack and slash games, you just point your mouse on what needs to die, and the game does the rest. A decent story line, and interface lay on top of pure gaming narcotic and I consider myself still a recovering Diablo addict. I still hold Diablo responsible for my less than amazing GCSE results.

System Shock



The spiritual successor to the excellent game Bioshock, System Shock is to cyber punk, as Bioshock is to steam punk. You find yourself stranded on a space station taken over by an evil AI and it falls to you to put an end to the madness collecting weapons, stimulants and as many personal diaries as you can carry. If you have only played Bioshock I urge you to give System Shock a go, its just like Bioshock, but with a lot more freedom and a much less linear story line. (and dated graphics)

The Sims



The Sims is still a major name in PC gaming, and there is very little I can say about it that you don't already know, you build a house, and then you put some people, or “Sims” in the house and help them live their lives... before getting bored of them and drowning them in the pool...  

The secret of Monkey island.



The greatest game of all time, and still to this day my all time favourite game. I'm not going to talk about it here, i'll devote a whole post to it later,  All i'm going to say, is play it.


No comments:

Post a Comment